Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The 'Rule'.

Beckham turned 18 months a few weeks before we came to Fargo and so we tried nursery at church just a couple times. He always walked in fine and started playing but ended up crying within 10 minutes of noticing I was gone.
So this last Sunday Beckham was having a rough day (or just extremely tired) so I wasn't even going to try nursery. But I went with Camille to drop Kade off and Beckham wanted to stay and play so I just told the nursery leader that 'I would be in Sunday School' and left.
As Sunday School went by I was just waiting for them to bring Beckham to me because he does that cry where he can't breath (it's so sad). But Sunday School went by and then Relief Society went by and I was shocked that they never came and got me! (But I was kind of happy because I thought Beckham was great).
When I went into the nursery to pick him up and ask one of the leaders how he did, she turned and looked at the other leader and then said 'He really struggled the first hour and then was a little better the second hour'. (At this point I'm thinking 'FIRST HOUR'... that's a long time to struggle!) Then the other leader looks at me and says ' I guess I should have told you before that unless the child is throwing up we don't take them to their parents, because then they know if they cry they get to leave'.
So I guess I'm just used to all those nurseries that take the kids out if they cry for more than 10 minutes. There are not many people who will stick it out and listen to kids scream and cry for 2 hours! I felt bad for Beckham because when he saw me he just started crying so hard. I'm just a softy and don't want my little Beckham to be so sad and crying that he can't breath. The nursery leader said to me as I was leaving 'we'll see you next week, he will probably cry again but it will get better'. :( What do I do now?

2 comments:

RaCHeL said...

Well, I haven't dealt with nursery first hand, but in our ward they do the same thing. It really does work though! Hang in there! That's why it is someone else teaching him to adjust & not the mommies, we are too soft! ;) XOXO

The Boone Family said...

Maybe you could have play dates with some of the other kids in his class so he feels comfortable on Sun. That's worked for us. You could also go visit his teacher periodically with cookies or something so he can get to know them a little. Good luck :)